MS Hospitalization Summary
So, I was hospitalized for an MS flare from July 8th to July 23rd. I tried my best to take notes, and have either James or my mom help with taking them so that I could look back and see what was tried etc. I know there are typos! Trying to do this via ipad is much harder than a desktop computer.
July 8th 9am
Decided I had to go to the hospital, the pain could not be ignored anymore. I was too weak to even lift a tshirt.
Admitted, was given morphine for pain, planned a 5 day plan of 1000 mg Solumedrol iv per day.
Morphine given every six hours. Oxycodone given every four hours.
Saturday July 9th
2:30 pm - Pain is more severe, cannot lift arms well, very weak. Trouble holding a phone.
2:45 pm - Morphine given, Backlafin given
4:30 pm - Oxycodone given
6:00 pm - Morphine given
Day one Solumedrol 1000 mg iv.
Leg spasms in middle of night
Sunday July 10th
Doctor came in morning, said would adjust pain meds, and contact Dr. jackson about getting a MRI there in the hospital while I was having a flare up. Doctor discontinued Plaquenil which primary
doctor Snow had prescribed one week prior because he did not think it was necessary.
Legs not working well, much weaker. Started to have neck pain that radiates down shoulders and
arms. Still taking morphine, percocet, backlafin. Day two Solumedrol 1000 mg.
Monday July 11th
Arms had a little more strength in morning, but legs were weaker. Day three solumedrol 1000 mg. Lots of pain in legs and neck, lots of tingling on left side especially in hand. Vertigo, lclench spasms in back of neck. My back felt like it was on fire. Morphine, oxycodone and
Backlafin still given. Problems with unable to pee much but bladder is full and hurts. Almost impossble to use legs.
Tuesday July 12th
MRI in the morning. Symptoms still going downhill. Legs stopped working, fell in floor. Bladder stopped working, had to get a straight catheter twice. Numbness tingling pain everywhere. Day four Solumedrol 1000 mg.
Wednesday July 13th
MRI came back with plaque and brain scars. neurologist stopped by and said I seriously need a plan of action with my own neurologist tomprevent further scars. Cannot walk at all, have foley in. Still haven't pooped since June 27th. Still downhill. Trying low dose Lyrica.
Thursday July 14th
Worst day out of them all. Pain, cannot even lift hands. Trying higher dosed Lyrica.
Friday July 15th
Things are happening. I had a few almost pain free hours. Brain signals are getting mixed up, I no lomger felt like I was right handed. Right side of body very weak and left side getting stronger. I could not write. Trying Delaudid and Torodol instead of morphine and oxycodone for pain. Continuing high dose Lyrica.
Saturday July 16th
First day I stopped the Iv 1000 mg Solumedrol and took pill form prednisone. Started tom reakmout into bad hives all over my body. Lips started tomswell, eyes swelling, throat swelling. Oral benedryl did not help. Doctor czme in to assess the situation. It turns out, that despite my warning that I have an adverse reaction stepping down from steroids too quickly, doctors chose to ignore me and put me on a regular step down of 1000 mg iv to 20 mg pill form. Doctors were shocked that I truly was having an anaphyleptic reaction and finally, after seeing myncondition agreed to taper slowly and listen to my concerns.
3:45 - 62.5 mg Solumedrol iv and 50 mg iv benedryl every six hours
4:00 - EKG done, heart very healthy
Gray team trying to get me with neurologist dr. Block.
Hives lasted all day, throat swelling dispersed by evening.
Tried sitting up and had james try to help me stand, my muscles were noodles.
Sunday July 17th
5:45 am - 50 mg Benedryl iv
9:45 am - Delaudid, Lyrica, 60 mg Prednisone oral.
10:45 am - another EKG done. heart is still fine.
Left arm hurting, right arm and hand still feel alien. Did leg stretches, was able to sit upmin bed without dalling off. Legs started clenching up badly around six, pain got worse, speech was hard. Was trying to wait as long as possible before next pain meds, and was successful at stretching it a few times.
Monday July 18th
10:00 am- got hives and tight throat
12 noon- hadniv taken out it was swollen and hurt
having neck spasms and pain. Got a new iv put in at 4pm. Kept doing leg exercises, was able to sit upmwithout falling.
Tuesday July 19th
10:45 Physical therapist czme by right after pain meds began to kick in. With his arms around me Imwas able to stand upmfor seven minutes until I had a wave of pain and weKness come over me, knees buckled and he caught me. Was able to sit in a wheelchair out of bed for two hrs before Inwas very wirn out. Long nap and felt like I had accomplished something.
Wednesday July 20th
Ups and downs.
Thursday July 21st
Lots of twit hes and clenches, but at least my body was doing something other thAn constantly getting worse. Pressure on tops of thighs helped with leg clenches.
Friday July 22nd
Xray of abdomen since itnhad been 4 weeks and nompooping. Xray confirmed blockages and painful enema given. This resulted in poop!
Saturday July 23rd
Was able to walk a small bit with help. Day 7 of being on 60 mg oral prednisone. Very few hives everyday. Took miralax for constipation. Went to nursing home. Left nursing home and went home. Got all prescriptions except for Lyrica.
No comments:
Post a Comment