Friday, August 19, 2016

Doctor Appointment, Stubborn Infection, and Dispensary

Yesterday I saw my Primary Care Doctor Snow.

Had my checklist ready.... Thankfully I got my letter faxed off disclosing that I basically have a recently diagnosis for Multiple Sclerosis and cannot be employed due to complications. (More or less). I thanked him for the Valium.. Definitely helps me pee. We talked about my recurring UTI/Bladder infection. I would have thought Cipro taken twice for a UTI would have nixed it. Nope, I Have some super strain that is resistant to this particular infection, and my immune system is pretty much 0 right now.

Since I am on Prednisone (weaning myself off slowly) my immune system is really really at risk of infection. I can only wean myself off so slowly or I get hives, anaphylaxis etc. But I did tell him I would try stepping down a little faster. I have an epipen and a giant bottle of benedryl. So I peed in a cup, they took it off to test for infection, and there was definitely a uti happening. Cipro didn't kill it, it needed something else with a little more "oomph". My Doctor had to get creative because I am allergic to Sulpha based antibiotics, but did find a suitable antibiotic as well as giving two strong shots of antibiotics in the butt because things could turn into sepsis very fast if infection did not get controlled.

I was instructed that if I do not feel significantly better by Saturday to go to the E.R and get checked out for Sepsis. Really don't want to do that... but a bodily infection would be bad untreated. Today is Friday, I feel like I did yesterday.. :/

Two meds were takin off my med list, and two were added.

Taken off:
Famotidine (Pepcid and H2 blocker)
Cipro (Antibiotic)

Added:
Pantoprazole - (New Antacid, to protect my stomach from prednisone which can cause ulcers)
Nitrofurantoin Macro (New Antibiotic instead of Cipro)

Note to self:
Whilst we were brainstorming with the doctor as to what to do with me, he mentioned that there IS an alternative to prednisone. Starts with an M meta something maybe? All the doctors I have talked to have told me Prednisone is THE drug for inflammation etc. Even the hospital said prednisone/solumedrol is it. Apparently there IS another drug, it's a bit stronger than prednisone, but is used for people with adverse reactions to prednisone. (That would be me.) However, since it is stronger he didn't want to bombard my already fragile immune system and the mountain of pills that I take already. But for future reference I am putting this here.

My mom took me to one of the local dispensaries after my Doctor appointment.
This one was very nice, recommended by Dr.Jackson. They even gave me a great discount for her referral!
The daytime strain that was highly recommended for muscle tremors and pain they were out of unfortunately, so the next best in the same category was Sequoia Strawberry. Stardust was recommended as a good evening strain, so I got both and some gummy edibles.
 
 I had a long day and my body had sensory overload. I was feeling that strange body vibration again, and it wasn't a good feeling... The strain Stardust is nice! I tried it last night. Stardust is a definite mood lift. It smells skunky and piney, it is a little harsh but I was drinking very spicy ginger tea. Variables. I felt the calm in my muscles that pharmaceuticals just cannot fully relieve. The nervousness in my arms and legs faded away, and at least for a while I could feel some relaxed peace in my body. Moments like those are  precious, for a few seconds I can almost imagine pretending to be "okay" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment